A closer look at potential issues
Payroll and employment tax issues. In most organizations, these are likely to be the responsibility of human resources or finance—until there is an IRS assessment or state employment tax audit. Then it becomes a matter for the tax department, and by that time, it may be too late for timely intervention.
KPMG's Employment Tax team helps companies identify payroll and employment tax issues early on, and provides guidance to resolve them before they become significant problems.
Payroll and employment tax services
Our professionals can provide assistance in a wide range of areas. For example:
- We work with you to identify, quantify and recover payroll tax overpayments and review current payroll department processes and procedures, helping to identify and remediate identified areas of potential exposure.
- We can help you comply with federal and state employment tax requirements during restructuring or related M&A transactions, and identify potential savings opportunities.
- We also provide assistance in other key areas, such as proper compliance with multi-jurisdictional employment tax withholding and reporting requirements.
- Additionally, our skilled professionals can assist with issues related to independent contractors. This includes analysis and improvement of processes and procedures built around your organization’s independent contractor review, approval and maintenance policies for worker classification issues -- as well as unbiased recommendations about the independence of potential contractors, through our Independent Contractor Review Service.
Insight into international payroll issues
KPMG Employment Tax professionals can also help with international payroll issues, working with the KPMG's Global Mobility Services to provide support with a variety of complex matters, including:
- International payroll year-end reporting and withholding assistance (W-2 and Compensation Summary reviews)
- U.S. and non-U.S. shadow payroll calculations
- Year-end payroll calculations (e.g., gross-up calculations)
- Equity reporting, withholding and related tax deposits
- New location start-up assistance (employee registration and payroll set-up at host)
- Totalization and Social Security certificates of coverage
- Income Tax Treaty research and review for non-U.S. employees
KPMG Employment Tax professionals can help you simplify compliance complexity of employment tax issues, wherever you need assistance.